Optimizing worker_processes, worker_connections & PHP_FCGI_CHILDREN - Any Good Tutorial?

Rahul Bansal rahul.bansal at rtcamp.com
Tue Jun 15 23:59:15 MSD 2010

Hi jerome.

With your additional inputs, Can I safely set following rules for personal
Of course, any configuration needs monitoring/tweaking. But I think its
better to start with a base config which will be closer to the optimal

*Now for...
*1024/2048 are safe values. So its better if I leave them untouched.

Number of CPU core or its multiplier (assuming u have dynamic application
with decent caching)
More process ==>> Less Dynamic and Lower PHP_FCGI_CHILDREN
Less Process ==>> More Dynamic and Higher PHP_FCGI_CHILDREN

*Using TOP command and looking at RES memory value.
Finding memory required by single instance of PHP. (in my case its 40MB and
VIRT is 100MB!)
Then doing arithmetic like:
[Available RAM] = (Actual RAM) - (100 M or more OS + 200 M for DB + 16M for
nginx (I have 8 worker_process with 2MB memory for each ))
PHP_FCGI_CHILDREN  = [Available RAM] / Single PHP instances' memory

Sorry for trying to get mechanical here.

But I already started to have better insight into all configuration
variables I was curious at.

Also are these numbers in anyway gets affected by fastcgi_cache -
Does fastcgi_cache reduces load on fascgi-php ?