Blackbox Logs

Alan Gutierrez alan at blogometer.com
Sat Jun 19 01:14:21 MSD 2010

Maxim Dounin wrote:

> Actually, most important thing to log is $upstream_response_time.
> So it's not a good idea to log something in an "apache compatible"
> format as you are going to log wrong metrics in this case.

To this point, I'm really looking to create something that is
*conceptually* compatible to the log format described in the original
article, a log format geared towards generalized performance and
security auditing, rather than hit counting. There is no need to record
thread id, in Nginx, quite obviously. If there was a legacy of scripts
for the "blackbox" log format described by Chris Josephes, that might be
a different matter, but there are not. My own little Nginx "blackbox"
format will include $upstream_response_time as you suggest.

Thank you very much for filling in the blanks for me.

Alan Gutierrez - http://twitter.com/bigeasy