Having semi-colon in query

Ian Hobson ian at ianhobson.co.uk
Tue Jun 22 23:28:45 MSD 2010

On 22/06/2010 20:07, Ankur Gupta wrote:
> Hi all,
>
>  I have a URL of the form:   /abc?x=1&y=2;3.   The nginx server passes
> the request to php-fpm thread.  When I try to query for the value of
> 'y' I get '2' instead of '2;3'.  Is this expected?   Are semicolons
> somehow considered to be query delimiters?

Hi Ankur,

There is no standard for delimiter, only common practise.  You can use
what you like.

The W3C has been recommending semicolon as a delimiter since 1994 or so.

That said, sending '&' so that it comes back as '&' is common,
correct, conforms to standards and expected by  users and search engines.

Regards

Ian