Introducing backend healthchecking plugin

Grzegorz Nosek grzegorz.nosek at gmail.com
Tue Mar 2 11:05:46 MSK 2010

Hi,

(piggybacking on Arvind's mail because I don't seem to have the original
post).

On Mon, Mar 01, 2010 at 04:18:32PM +0530, Arvind Jayaprakash wrote:
> On Feb 26, Jack Lindamood wrote:
> >I've written a plugin that can health check nginx backends, which
> >everyone is free to use.  This is similar to the healthchecking
> >features that varnish and haproxy support.  Here's a sample config[1]
> >just to give you an idea, that uses the upstream_hash plugin.  You can
> >get the code here [2] and an example of how to patch upstream_hash here
> >[3].  The plugin is actually an optional feature that other upstream
> >plugins, like upstream fair or iphash for example, can plug into and
> >use.  To use it, their code needs to be modified to also check the
> >health of the backend.
> >
> >This plugin is super beta, so please be careful.  Feedback/patches
> >welcome.

Did you look at ngx_supervisord[1]? It serves a roughly similar purpose
(more direct interaction of load balancers with the outside world) and
it also requires patches to the load balancer. So maybe we could kill
two birds with one stone and use the same API.

[1] http://labs.frickle.com/nginx_ngx_supervisord/

Best regards,
 Grzegorz Nosek