nginx using access.log.1 after using a logrotate script under ubuntu (from source)

pablo platt pablo.platt at gmail.com
Sun Mar 7 05:13:26 MSK 2010

Hi

I've built nginx from source on ubuntu in /usr/local/nginx according to the
tutorial:
http://articles.slicehost.com/2009/3/4/ubuntu-intrepid-installing-nginx-from-source

and used the init.d script:
http://articles.slicehost.com/2009/3/4/ubuntu-intrepid-adding-an-nginx-init-script

read this about nginx log rotation:
http://www.ruby-forum.com/topic/134115

when forcing logrotate with: sudo logrotate -f /etc/logrotate.conf
nginx starts using access.log.1
but when using a signal manually nginx uses access.log: sudo kill -USR1 `cat
nginx.pid`

If I'm using 'nginx' user in the logrotate script I'm getting an error that
this use doesn't exists so I have to use root.
My logrotate script under /etc/logrotate.d/nginx
/usr/local/nginx/logs/*.log {
        weekly
        missingok
        rotate 52
        compress
        delaycompress
        notifempty
        create 640 nginx adm
        sharedscripts
        postrotate
                [ ! -f /usr/local/nginx/logs/nginx.pid ] || kill -USR1 `cat
/usr/local/nginx/logs/nginx.pid`
        endscript
}

What am I doing wrong?