nginx using access.log.1 after using a logrotate script under ubuntu (from source)

pablo platt pablo.platt at gmail.com
Tue Mar 9 16:53:33 MSK 2010

I'll use the PPA but want to understand why my logrotate doesn't work.
Is it possible to install the PPA and use it reload nginx without loosing
existing connections?
Do I need to use 'make uninstall' on the previous nginx installation first?

On Mon, Mar 8, 2010 at 3:33 PM, Daniel Hahler <genml at thequod.de> wrote:

> >> Are you sure, that  /usr/local/nginx/logs/nginx.pid has actual pid of
> >> the master process?
> >
> > Yes according to the tutorial at
> >
> http://articles.slicehost.com/2009/3/4/ubuntu-intrepid-installing-nginx-from-source
>
> Have you verified it, e.g. by catting it?

What do you mean by verifying by catting it?

> >> but when using a signal manually nginx uses access.log: sudo kill -USR1
> `cat nginx.pid`
>
> Here you aren't using the full path. Where have you executed this from?

I've executed it from the /usr/local/nginx/logs folder