high "Load Average"

Sessna nginx-forum at nginx.us
Thu Mar 18 13:01:49 MSK 2010

Stefan Parvu Wrote:
> You are talking about a system slowdown caused by your current
> workload. This might be caused by a series of things some related
> to the kernel. But most likely analysing with SystemTap whats going
> on here might help. Thats why I keep telling people DTrace is like a gold mine
> or a step in the future. Since you are not on Solaris you need to
> start looking into SystemTap. If possible, have a box with Solaris
> or FreeBSD next running this workload and check with DTraceToolkit.

I am started paying with SystemTap and FreeBSD is coming next in line.
thanks for advice.

Cliff Wells Wrote:
> Have you done any tuning of your system to handle
> high loads or is this a default CentOS install?

no any patches and only small tuning for FS and Network options

Soft & Hard limits
 *       soft    nofile  1024
 *       hard    nofile  65535

file descriptor limit
echo 65535 > /proc/sys/fs/file-max
ulimit -n 8192

somaxconn and backlog adjustments
echo 8192 > /proc/sys/net/core/netdev_max_backlog
echo 8192 > /proc/sys/net/core/somaxconn

Best regards,
Sessna

Posted at Nginx Forum: http://forum.nginx.org/read.php?2,63176,65194#msg-65194