How much is the HTTPS overhead

Gabriel Ramuglia gabe at vtunnel.com
Sat Mar 20 20:21:38 MSK 2010

It will use a bit more cpu. If you're serving static content, you may
notice the difference in cpu usage. If you're using a heavy RoR app,
then it shouldn't increase total system utilization more than 10-20%.
I was running a pretty heavy cgi proxy, and the difference between SSL
and not SSL was just barely noticable in my cpu cacti graphs. So yes,
a bit more cpu, but certainly it's not going to increase your hosting
costs dramatically.