IBM Lotus Domino - reverse proxy - do not cache if authenticated web user (based on cookie)

Pekka.Panula at sofor.fi Pekka.Panula at sofor.fi
Tue Mar 30 11:58:58 MSD 2010

Hi

My backend is IBM Lotus Domino and its HTTP task. I have application that
has admin panel thats been used with end-user's browser.
Currently i am using cache but that admin panel goes crazy because of
caching. So, goal is to prevent caching if user is authenticated.
IBM Lotus Domino uses Cookie named DomAuthSessId which has session id.

So on global level i have configured:

http {

    proxy_cache_path  /usr/share/nginx/cache  levels=1:2 keys_zone=one:10m
max_size=1G;
    proxy_temp_path   /usr/share/nginx/tmp;
    proxy_cache_key   "$scheme$host$request_uri";

    proxy_cache_valid 200 302 5m;
    proxy_cache_valid 301 1h;
    proxy_cache_valid any 1m;

     proxy_cache one;

.... and so on

and on virtual server level

server {
   server_name  www.somedomain.fi;
   default_type text/html;
   root         /some/directory;
   location / {
      proxy_pass http://some.ip.add.ress;

Would this work if i do something like this?

  location / {
      # if authenticated domino user, disable cache
      if ($http_cookie ~* "DomAuthSessId") {
         proxy_cache_valid  200 302 304 none;
         proxy_cache_valid  301 none;
      }
      proxy_pass http://some.ip.add.ress
 }

Or any ideas how it should be done?

Terveisin/Regards,
   Pekka Panula, Sofor Oy - Jatkuvat palvelut