Caching OSM tiles

Cedric Jeanneret cedric.jeanneret at camptocamp.com
Tue May 11 10:37:19 MSD 2010

Hello!

I'm currently developping a really tiny app using OpenLayers[1] and OpenStreetMap[2].
As I was testing it, I saw that sometimes tiles don't come. I guess this is caused by server load at OSM. So I was thinking about caching some tiles so that it won't overload OSM, and my app will work nicely.

Has anybody ever tried it ? if so, how can we do it ?
If no one has tested/tried it, any hints/ideas ?

I guess I should configure a special vhost like "tiles.domain.ltd", proxy-ing tiles.openstreetmap.org, with some caching, and tell OpenLayers to use OSM tiles through this proxy. Right ?

Thank you for your answers.

Best regards,

C. Jeanneret

[1] http://openlayers.org/