shell environment variables in "include"-directive not working

Markus Grobelin grobi at koppzu.de
Fri May 14 15:11:55 MSD 2010

On 05/13/2010 02:29 AM, Maxim Dounin wrote:

> nginx doesn't have syntax for expanding environment variables in
> configuration file.

Too bad... I thought it is a common thing for oos server software :(

Recently I built up a farm of several Tomcat & Apache httpd Instances.
It's just the frontend part of the application. There is a business
layer and backend, too. I wanted to migrate some http functionality
stuff - delivering static media, cache some userphotos - to nginx. Think
of multiple instances across multiple hosts (30 and counting)  for all
the stages (dev,qa, prelive,live) one want to have when deploy a big
web-application.

It's at charming to unify system- and daemon-configuration via
placeholders (environment variables). Convention over Configuration
enables a system administrators live to be as stressless as possible ;)

Is there a plan to add this feature?