Basic question...

gyan nginx-forum at
Sat May 22 09:56:23 MSD 2010

I'm new to Nginx and I have a basic problem.  In short my "index.htm" isn't dynamically loading on any sub-directories other than root.

For example, "" will load the index.htm page just fine.  However, "" will not load
the associated index.htm.  I have to manually specify ".../index.htm" within the URL for the page to load.  This can't be right/normal.

My nginx.conf has this within the server declaration:

	        location / {
        		root   /var/www/localhost/htdocs;
			index  index.html index.htm;
			allow all;
		location ~* ^.+\.(jpg|jpeg|gif)$ {
			root         /var/www/localhost/htdocs;
			access_log   off;
			expires      30d;

What am I missing?  This has become a show-stopper for my project so your help is *very* much appreciated!

Thank you!

- Gyan