gzip on 7.65 not responding

Maxim Dounin mdounin at mdounin.ru
Wed May 26 17:18:48 MSD 2010

Hello!

On Tue, May 25, 2010 at 07:31:32PM -0400, reference123 wrote:

> I am using version 7.65 on Ubuntu 10 as a reverse proxy.  The
> backend server is running asp pages on iis6.  I have the
> following in my nginx conf file -
>
> gzip		 on;
>     gzip_disable	 "MSIE [1-6]\.";
>     gzip_buffers      	 16 8k;
>     gzip_http_version	 1.1;
>     gzip_comp_level 	 8;
>     gzip_min_length  	 0;
>     gzip_vary 		 on;
>     gzip_proxied  	 any;
>     gzip_types text/plain text/css text/xml text/javascript application/xml application/x-javascript;
>
> When this is on I get the content-encoding gzip header and
> transfer-encoding chunked.  I do not get a content-length
> header.  When I check compression by going to a couple of
> websites that confirm compression they tell me the page is not
> compressed.

So you see it's correctly compressed, but some external website
checkers report it's not.  Most likely it's caused by using
HTTP/1.0 checks on these checkers.  You may try to set

    gzip_http_version 1.0;

to make these checkers happy.  But I would recommend to keep the
default (gzip_http_version 1.1) instead to avoid problems with
real HTTP/1.0 clients/proxies.