Random Instant 502 Bad Gateway Errors

Jérôme Loyet jerome at loyet.net
Sat May 29 23:45:26 MSD 2010

2010/5/29 TheCrach <nginx-forum at nginx.us>:
> Thank's for your responses.
>
> At peak time I have about 15 children exept if I'm getting attacked :/
> My server is the object of a lot of DoS attacks and it is possible to get 100 children.
> But you have to know that this server is use for a website but it is also the infos server of my 30 servers of downloads.
> I have Suhosin with APC enabled and my website has a SQL cache created by me.
>
> I should decrease the value of children ?

it depends on your system. If your system is able to handle 150
concurent request so you're fine with it. When you're under DOS
attack, your server won't crash. But if all children are working at
same time, new clients won't be able to connect. In this case, the DOS
will be a success (from the point of view of the attacker).

You can look at some interesting nginx modules:
http://wiki.nginx.org/NginxHttpLimitZoneModule
http://wiki.nginx.org/NginxHttpLimitReqModule