Change in error_page behavior

Maxim Dounin mdounin at
Tue Nov 2 01:05:43 MSK 2010

On Mon, Nov 01, 2010 at 02:20:56PM -0400, brianmercer wrote:

> I used to use this:
>   error_page 497$request_uri;
> to redirect requests from the non-ssl address to
> the ssl version on the same port.  see
> This stopped working recently, probably with the latest change to
> error_page in 0.8.53.

Yes, thank you for your report.  It's indeed broken in 0.8.53.

I'm currently working on a patch for another problem introduced by
the same change, it should fix your problem as well.

> After some trial and error, it seems to be working fine with this:
>   error_page 497 =301$request_uri;
> Is that going to give me the same effect as before?

If you want to achieve exactly the same effect as before you
should use =302.  Though =301 is probably better here.

Maxim Dounin