rewrite with $request_uri auto appends args

NCRonB nginx-forum at
Fri Nov 5 20:08:47 MSK 2010

I've been using the following code to redirect non-www to www-refixed

server {
    rewrite ^$request_uri permanent;

However, I just realized that when there is a query string, the
resulting URI has the query string twice.  For example:

[code][/code] rewritten as:

Is this the correct behavior?

I can add a '?' to the end of $request_uri to make it work as expected,
but I've never seen that in any examples, and I didn't think rewrite was
supposed to auto-append the arguments unless I explicitly put arguments
on the replacement side.

I'm running Nginx 0.8.52.