50% of Failed requests with load balance

César M. lists at ruby-forum.com
Wed Nov 10 17:57:20 MSK 2010

I'm trying to use nginx for load balancing in my server.
Actually I have 2 servers in the same network with Apache listening the
port 8080 (http://IP:8080/ it's works!). In one of them i install nginx
send 50% of requests to one server and 50% to other. The configuration
looks like:

upstream  mysite{

server {

   # pass all else onto apache waiting at localhost:8080
   location / {
      proxy_pass http://mysite;

When i run ''ab -c 100 -n 1000'', where
prueba.php only does ''phpinfo()''. The result show:
Complete requests:      1000
Failed requests:        499
   (Connect: 0, Receive: 0, Length: 499, Exceptions: 0)
But if i run the same benchmark individually, there are 0 Fail requests.
Just commenting one server or the other from upstream nginx

If i try with a html or jpg file don't get  fail requests. But the times
don't improve with the 2 servers. If i does the test directly to port
8080 for each machine, i get 5-6 seg average, but if i does to nginx
with load balance, i get 7-8 seg average. It's that reasonable?

Can anyone help me?