Nginx as reverse proxy for Jetty

Maxim Dounin mdounin at mdounin.ru
Tue Nov 23 18:36:56 MSK 2010

Hello!

On Tue, Nov 23, 2010 at 02:05:45PM +0100, Martin wrote:

> I realized, that in version 0.7.67 this problem is real, and with the
> latest stable build 0.8.53 this problem has gone.
>
> Anyway, I also find a workaround for this bug. It is necessary to set
> index directive to some existing file, even if the request is
> proxy-passed. Then the requests to root of the domain are handled
> correctly.

Most likely this is something screwed up in your configuration
which results in the problem.  Plain proxy_pass like this

    location / {
        proxy_pass http://backend;
    }

won't even know you've defined indexes somewhere and won't care at
all if there are any files.  Though there is more than one way to
screw it up, e.g. by using if[1] directive.  There is a reason why
http://wiki.nginx.org/Debugging suggests showing config when
asking for help.

[1] http://wiki.nginx.org/IfIsEvil