Deny access per extension in multiple locations

Francis Daly francis at daoine.org
Fri Oct 8 02:05:12 MSD 2010

On Thu, Oct 07, 2010 at 12:07:59PM -0400, nfn wrote:

Hi there,

> How can I join this in one line to deny access in multiple folders for
> these extensions?
>
> I was trying this without success:
>
> location ~ /(uploads/|docs/|pdfs/)*\.(php|cgi|pl|php3|php4|php5)$ {
>   root /srv/www/portaldasviagens.com/public;
>   deny    all;
> }

Turn on "error_log" with "debug", then try to access one of the urls
you want to have denied. Look for the log lines with "test location:"
and "using configuration". That will tell you which location block is
being used for each request.

I suspect that the above regular expression does not match the locations
you want it to match. Specifically, the "*" probably wants a "." before
it.

Good luck,

Francis Daly        francis at daoine.org