Why is client_max_body_size default set to 1m?

jlangevin nginx-forum at nginx.us
Tue Oct 12 20:22:12 MSD 2010

After migrating one of our servers to Nginx from Apache, I decided to
test file uploads (as I've implemented the Accelerated Upload Support
feature in PHP-FPM/nginx). I found that
is an additional directive that affects POST/upload file sizes.

So this means that in addition to the 2 directives in PHP that must be
configured for upload file size, I must also now configure Nginx as

I can understand this directive existing, but why default it to 1mb?

Found this issue due to this thread and my own failed upload attempts:

Posted at Nginx Forum: http://forum.nginx.org/read.php?2,139769,139769#msg-139769