Mailman with nginx and thttpd

Francis Daly francis at
Tue Oct 26 05:14:46 MSD 2010

On Mon, Oct 25, 2010 at 05:02:53PM -0700, David Newman wrote:

Hi there,

> Greetings. I'm getting 404 errors after installing the Mailman mailing
> list manager on a server running nginx and thttpd, and could use some
> help in understanding why.

> Thanks in advance for clues on answering these two questions:
> 1. How to point nginx and thttp at the correct locations so that I'm not
> getting 404s?

The good news is, it looks like you probably have got the nginx side of
things right.

>   server {
>     listen 80;
>     server_name;
>     location /mailman/ {
>       proxy_pass;
>     }

is the important part of the configuration. If a request comes in that
starts, it gets sent to thttpd mostly

Since that leads to 404 errors, all you need do is fix the mailman/thttpd
side of things.

You can test it directly, without involving nginx, by pointing your
client at the interface.

Your thttpd.conf makes it look like that it will try to access files like

Hopefully the logs thttpd generates will show you what to do next.

> 2. If possible, how to run Mailman under the canonical hostname of
> '' instead of the separate name of ''?

You'll need to know what the mailman-related urls are. Your config
suggests that they are only everything below /mailman/, /images/mailman/,
and /pipermail/. So long as nothing else on your server wants to
handle those locations, you just put the same location{} blocks in your server{}. The main difference is that you won't want
the "/ is /mailman/listinfo" rewrite -- maybe you'll want a "/mailman/
is /mailman/listinfo" rewrite instead.

Good luck with it,

Francis Daly        francis at