Support for both HTTP and HTTPS requests on port 443

Pasi Kärkkäinen pasik at iki.fi
Wed Oct 27 17:42:54 MSD 2010

Hello,

I have HTTPS/SSL server configured like this:

server {
       listen                  1.2.3.4:443 ssl;
       server_name             ssl.dom.tld

       ssl                     on;
       keepalive_timeout       70;

       access_log              /var/log/nginx/ssl-access.log;
       error_log               /var/log/nginx/ssl-error.log;

       location / {

               proxy_pass      https://10.0.0.1;

               proxy_next_upstream error timeout invalid_header http_500 http_502 http_503;
               proxy_set_header Host $host;
               proxy_redirect     off;

Is it possible to forward also *http* (not https) requests made to port 443
to the backend (10.0.0.1) port 443 ?

Yes I know, it doesn't make any sense basicly, but I have a broken
application that wants to receive both http and https requests on port 443.

Is that possible with nginx?

-- Pasi