confused with hiding a directory

Matthieu Tourne matthieu.tourne at
Tue Sep 14 03:39:18 MSD 2010

On Sun, Sep 12, 2010 at 3:07 PM, raubvogel <nginx-forum at> wrote:
> Sorry for taking so long; I had to put that server into production. So I
> built another (the first one is an ubuntu one), applied your patch to
> nginx-0.8.50 (it did not bark), and compiled it. So, I set the conf dir
> as
> [code]
> location /conf {
>            hidden;
>        }
> [/code]
> and restarted nginx. Unfortunately I can still see the directory. Did I
> miss anything?

If you have something like :

http {
  location / {
    proxy_pass http://backend;

 location /conf {
   <other stuffs>

if you request for /conf externally you should hit
http://<backend>/conf via the proxy_pass. The nginx /conf is
accessible only from a subrequest.
Is it what you're trying to achieve, or do you have a different scenario ?

Matthieu Tourne