Basic http auth with proxy pass showing 403/Forbidden

strom nginx-forum at
Thu Sep 16 04:24:25 MSD 2010

[quote]I am simply trying to password protect a folder and a file in my
webapp with basic_auth, but I'm running into some problems.

Here's the relevant conf info:

location / {
proxy_redirect off;

proxy_set_header Host $http_host;

proxy_read_timeout 700;

location ~ /(admin/.*|test) {
auth_basic "Restricted";
auth_basic_user_file conf/htpasswd;
proxy_pass; # tried both with and without this

I essentially want to protect my admin directory along with the test
page, but when I have this location module, I am getting 403 forbidden
on my webapp for the admin directory and test page.

Sorry, the proxy_pass in both location modules is supposed to be the
same port, I was doing some messing around and forgot to change them to
be the same.