can I change group permissions from www-data to something else?

António P. P. Almeida appa at perusio.net
Tue Sep 21 03:54:48 MSD 2010

On 20 Set 2010 23h59 WEST, nginx-forum at nginx.us wrote:

Hello,

Suggestion: create user accounts for each one you want to give access
to.

Symlink the directories you want to give them access to under /var/www
to one sub-directory of their home directory.

Depending on the application that the users are running some
directories would have to be owned by www-data. For instance, in
Drupal, the files directory has to be 775 www-data.www-data or
something along these lines.

Of course if your use case doesn't consider files/directories created
by the application that each user is running then everything is much
simpler.

Ex: users john and joan have can upload files to their personal sites.

/var/www/users/john/sites -> /home/john/sites
/var/www/users/joan/sites -> /home/joan/sites

--- appa