off-domain redirect using X-Accel-Redirect

Francis Daly francis at
Thu Apr 14 11:41:53 MSD 2011

On Thu, Apr 14, 2011 at 01:36:56AM -0400, dbanks wrote:

Hi there,

> I'd like for my application to send a 302 redirect (or equivalent) to an
> off-domain location (not my server).  X-Accel-Redirect appears to be the
> best way to achieve this, but I don't see any reference to the URI being
> a reference to a different server.

X-Accel-Redirect is for the application to tell nginx to return the
content of a different (local) uri. The value should start with "/".

Nginx is a proxy server, so there are ways to map a local uri to a remote
resource, but that seems to be a side issue here:

if you want your application to send a 302 redirect, just send a 302
redirect. You'll need a valid Location: header too.

> Is something like the following allowed?
> X-Accel-Redirect:;
> or
> X-Accel-Redirect:;

It's allowed, but it doesn't do what you hope it does.

If you look in the debug log, you'll see something like

 open() "/usr/local/nginx/html;" failed (2: No such file or directory)

Good luck with it,

Francis Daly        francis at