98: Address already in use

slowgary nginx-forum at nginx.us
Thu Apr 14 16:04:03 MSD 2011

Hi all,

Nginx has been working fine for months on my server. Recently, however,
I see that "service nginx configtest" reports the following:

the configuration file /etc/nginx/nginx.conf syntax is ok
[emerg]: listen() to 0.0.0.0:17942, backlog 511 failed (98: Address
already in use)
configuration file /etc/nginx/nginx.conf test failed

I believe nginx has been updated recently, but I'm not sure.  It's
currently at version 0.8.53.  I've ran configtest before and have never
seen this error.  I need to add a new site in conf.d, but I fear that
reloading or restarting afterwards will fail and my live sites will be
down.

netstat -tlnp lists 0.0.0.0:17942 as in use by Program name "nginx.conf"
(which seems weird, shouldn't this just say "nginx").  Also, if I rename
the conf.d/site.conf file that includes the 17942 port entry, it just
fails on the next conf down the line on the following ip/port.

Now that I've typed out the entire problem, it occurs to me that the
problem could be the misnamed Program name.  Maybe nginx thinks that a
different program is occupying those ports because the name is not
"nginx".  Does that seem likely?  Also, was there a bug fixed somewhere
that resolved/caused the name change?  I have a hunch that restarting
nginx will solve the problem, but I don't want to risk it since it's a
live server.

Any ideas?  Thank you for reading.

Posted at Nginx Forum: http://forum.nginx.org/read.php?2,191227,191227#msg-191227