Upstream setup with proxy and fastcgi?

TECK nginx-forum at nginx.us
Thu Apr 14 22:15:13 MSD 2011

Hi,

I plan to do a basic load balancer setup and want to understand the
differences between fastcgi_pass and proxy_pass.

upstream  proxy  {
    server 1.localserverip:8000;
    server 2.localserverip:8000;
    server 3.localserverip:8000;
    server 4.localserverip:8000;
}

upstream  php  {
    server 1.localserverip:9000;
    server 2.localserverip:9000;
    server 3.localserverip:9000;
    server 4.localserverip:9000;
}

server {
    listen publicserverip:80;
    server_name example.com;
    root /var/www/html;
    index index.php index.html;

    location / {
        proxy_pass http://proxy;
        try_files $uri $uri/ /index.php;
    }

    location ~ \.php$ {
        fastcgi_pass php;
        include fastcgi.conf;

My goal is to have 2 servers as load balancers (1.localserverip and
5.localserverip set with heartbeat) and redirect the traffic through all
nodes using Nginx. The site content will be identical in all servers.
Can you let me know if using fastcgi_pass will do the same thing as
proxy_pass, or do I have to set everything up like in the above
configuration? I will serve static and php files through the backend.
Following the logic it might require that I set both fastcgi_pass and
proxy_pass into config. Could you give me a quick example so I
understand how everything works?

Thanks

Posted at Nginx Forum: http://forum.nginx.org/read.php?2,191346,191346#msg-191346