Bug in nginx?

Ian Hobson ian at ianhobson.co.uk
Sun Apr 17 21:26:56 MSD 2011

I'm still using Nginx 0.7.67 and I think I have found a minor bug.

In my config files, for one domain I have entries like this to protect
two directories.

location  /secret {
    index index.html
    auth_basic "Please login";
    auth_basic_user_file  /path/to/passwordfile

location /private {
    auth_basic "Hello, Please login";
    authObasic_user_file  /path/to/passwordfile;
    if ()

Note the second line above has no trailing semi-colon.

The result is that /secret is not protected (although /private is).

The bug is that when nginx is restarted, it announces that the config file
is valid, when it isn't, (so the problem was not detected for many months).