Question about memcache

agentzh agentzh at
Fri Apr 22 06:59:05 MSD 2011

On Fri, Apr 22, 2011 at 6:20 AM, Yanxin Z. <lists at> wrote:
> Thank you for your help, António.
> I have a question here, instead of memcache module, can I use other
> moudule, like proxy_cache, fastcgi_cache?
> What is the advantage and disadvantage of using memcache?

The main advantage of using memcached is that you can have a
distributed cache layer in a cluster setting by means of client-side
key hashing. When you do have a lot of stuffs to cache or your disk is
slow, it'll be a big win. You may want to combine it with the
ngx_srcache module:

The main disadvantage atm is that ngx_srcache is rather weak in terms
of functionality as compared to proxy_cache and fastcgi_cache. Also,
memcached has a limit on item size (1MB), though most of the time,
your pages are smaller than 1MB.