nginx as reverse proxy for many domains (many ips in proxypass?)

gregr401 nginx-forum at
Wed Apr 27 03:37:14 MSD 2011

I'm sure there are a few different ways to accomplish this, personally
I'm working on a dynamic method to perform this with a mysql backend.
For a more simplistic method, maybe try using a map hash for the
backend_server variable that is matched against the incoming

map_hash_bucket_size 64;

    map $http_host $backend_server {

        default                                                ;

    proxy_set_header Host $http_host;

server 80 {

    location / {

            proxy_pass  http://$backend_server

Just an example, I'm sure I'm missing something above...  :)