http to https rewrite, non-standard port?

Quincy nginx-forum at
Wed Aug 3 08:20:39 UTC 2011

I have the same problem. I can't redirect http to https. Here is my

server {
  listen 2121;
  server_name XXXXX;
  ssl on;
  ssl_certificate XXt;
  ssl_certificate_key XX;
  #server_name _;
  server_name_in_redirect off;
  port_in_redirect off;

  root XXX;

  location / {
    index index.php;
    error_page 404 = @mediawiki;
    error_page 497 = @https;
    #error_page 400 = @https;
    error_page 400 https://$host:2121$request_uri;
    auth_basic            "Restricted";
    auth_basic_user_file  XXXX;

  location @mediawiki {
    rewrite ^/([^?]*)(?:\?(.*))? /index.php?title=$1&$2 last;

  location @https {
    rewrite ^ https://$host:2121$request_uri? permanent;

  location ~ \.php$ {
    fastcgi_param  QUERY_STRING       $query_string;
    fastcgi_param  REQUEST_METHOD     $request_method;
    fastcgi_param  CONTENT_TYPE       $content_type;
    fastcgi_param  CONTENT_LENGTH     $content_length;
    fastcgi_param  SCRIPT_NAME        $fastcgi_script_name;
    fastcgi_param  REQUEST_URI        $request_uri;
    fastcgi_param  DOCUMENT_URI       $document_uri;
    fastcgi_param  DOCUMENT_ROOT      $document_root;
    fastcgi_param  SERVER_PROTOCOL    $server_protocol;
    fastcgi_param  GATEWAY_INTERFACE  CGI/1.1;
    fastcgi_param  SERVER_SOFTWARE    nginx/$nginx_version;
    fastcgi_param  REMOTE_ADDR        $remote_addr;
    fastcgi_param  REMOTE_PORT        $remote_port;
    fastcgi_param  SERVER_ADDR        $server_addr;
    fastcgi_param  SERVER_PORT        $server_port;
    fastcgi_param  SERVER_NAME        $server_name;

# PHP only, required if PHP was built with --enable-force-cgi-redirect
    fastcgi_param  REDIRECT_STATUS    200;

    fastcgi_index  index.php;
    fastcgi_param  SCRIPT_FILENAME  XXXX/$fastcgi_script_name;
    fastcgi_param  HTTPS              on;

Https is working flawlessly, but when I try http I get an error (400 Bad

The plain HTTP request was sent to HTTPS port
nginx/1.0.5) instead of redirect.