Log Parsing - Near Real Time

Neil Mckee neil.mckee.ca at gmail.com
Thu Aug 4 16:59:33 UTC 2011

Not sure what you mean about sFlow needing to be open source?   Here are links to the relevant open-source projects:

http://nginx-sflow-module.googlecode.com
http://host-sflow.sourceforge.net
http://www.inmon.com/technology/sflowTools.php

With a more complete "developer resources" description here:
http://blog.sflow.com/2010/01/developer-resources.html

If you use sflowtool to turn sFlow-HTTP into common-log format at the collector,  that opens up a whole ecosystem of open-source perl/python/bash/PHP tools for the analysis,  such as AWStats.
http://awstats.sourceforge.net/

The sFlow-HTTP feed also sends performance counters every N seconds.   I don't yet know of an open-source adaptor to feed that into something like Nagios, Ganglia or Graphite,  but I know there are options to do that with the sFlow-HOST  performance counters so it shouldn't be hard to add.   In fact,  Ganglia now has native support for the sFlow-HOST counters.
 http://ganglia.info/?p=430

This sFlow-HOST (http://host-sflow.sourceforge.net) part is helpful because it provides telemetry on the underlying CPU/mem/disk/network stats in a light and scalable way,  and supports zero-config (DNS-SD) to make sFlow easier to roll out on a large cluster/farm.

Neil