Configure auth_basic with Nginx and Passenger

Maxim Dounin mdounin at mdounin.ru
Fri Aug 12 09:17:40 UTC 2011

Hello!

On Fri, Aug 12, 2011 at 04:18:12AM -0400, vincentp wrote:

> I'm trying to set up a basic authentication with Nginx.
>
> My server configuration look like that:

[...]

> The content of simple_authentication_user_file is simply:
> a:b

If you want to use plain text passwords, use

a:{PLAIN}b

instead (works in nginx 1.0.3+).

By default passwords are expected to be encrypted by crypt(3), see
[1].  The only exception is Windows version where is no crypt()
and passwords are treated as plain text by default (you may want
to use $apr1$ aka Apache md5 passwords on Windows as supported in
1.0.3+ for maximum security).

[1] http://wiki.nginx.org/HttpAuthBasicModule#auth_basic_user_file