Custom headers - Is it a bug or what?

Henrique Carvalho Alves hcarvalhoalves at gmail.com
Tue Dec 6 00:13:47 UTC 2011

Hi everybody. I have a very simple question to what is possibly a bug.

In nginx 1.0.5, given the following nginx.conf:

---
server {
	server_name myserver;

	location / {
		uwsgi_pass 127.0.0.1:5001;
		uwsgi_param HTTP_MY_CUSTOM_HEADER $http_my_custom_header;
		include uwsgi_params;
---

Why does this works as expected...

$ curl -H "My-Custom-Header: Yes" http://myserver/

...but this doesn't.

$ curl -H "MY_CUSTOM_HEADER: Yes" http://myserver/

In the latter case, the parameter is passed to my uwsgi application, but it's just an empty string. I know HTTP headers are supposed to be  case-insensitive, but nginx behavior is unexpected when the header doesn't follow the usual format (title-cased, underscores instead of dashes).

Anyone had similar need to capture custom headers? Any nginx.conf examples?

Thanks.