x-accel-redirect and gzip_static

Andrew Hammond andrew.george.hammond at gmail.com
Tue Dec 20 00:02:57 UTC 2011

I'm using x-accel-redirect to serve a file from a location that has
gzip_static on; however instead of the pre-gzipped version, I am
getting me the un-gzip'd version of the file. I assume that locations
are respected for x-accel-redirects targets, what am I missing / where
should I look for more details? Config snippet follows.

# This is the canonical name which redirects to the x_accel_redirect location
    location ~ /dispatch/.*/(ric_sw_version|config.xml|employee.xml|config_data.xml))
    {
        gzip off;

        fastcgi_pass webservices;
        include include/fastcgi.conf;
        fastcgi_intercept_errors off;
        break;
    }

# this is the direct-route to the dispatched location
    location /dispatch {
        root /nutricate/static;
        gzip_static on;
        gzip_proxied any;
        break;
    }

# this is the x_accel_redirect target where the canonical name redirects to.
    location /x_accel_redirect {
        internal;
        alias /nutricate/static/;
        gzip_static on;