Client body buffering with FastCGI

Maxim Khitrov max at mxcrypt.com
Thu Feb 17 21:47:43 MSK 2011

On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 12:05 PM, Maxim Dounin <mdounin at mdounin.ru> wrote:
> Hello!
>
> On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 09:48:24AM -0500, Maxim Khitrov wrote:
>
>> I'm trying to configure AjaXplorer, a PHP/Ajax file manager, to work
>> behind nginx 0.8.54 on FreeBSD 7.3. The problem I'm running into is
>> the inability to upload files more than ~64 MB in size. Ideally, I'd
>> like to bump that limit up to 1 GB. I realize that HTTP is not ideal
>> for this, but other transfer methods are not an option.
>>
>> PHP and nginx are both configured to accept 1 GB POST requests. As far
>> as I can tell, nginx buffers the contents of the entire upload to disk
>> before forwarding the request to the FastCGI process. This data is
>> then read from disk and written back to disk by PHP. The whole
>> write/read/write cycle is causing a timeout, first in nginx, and then
>> in the PHP process (though there may also be some other problem that I
>> haven't figured out yet).
>
> Setting bigger timeouts should help.  All timeouts in nginx are
> configurable (proxy_connect_timeout, proxy_send_timeout,
> proxy_read_timeout - and similar ones for other backend modules).
>
> Though it sounds strange that nginx times out while writing
> request to php as it should reset timer on any write operation.
> Timeout may happen after writing request (read timeout) - i.e. if
> php takes too long to process request, but you have to enlarge it
> anyway then.

I think the timeouts are a side effect; the problem seems to be
between nginx and the FastCGI unix socket. I just ran two quick tests.
All possible timeouts for PHP and nginx have been set to 60 seconds,
memory and POST size limits are at 1 GB.

First, I uploaded a 90 MB file. All went well - the upload finished in
~3 seconds, PHP took ~8 seconds to copy it to the final destination.
So 11 seconds total from the time that I hit 'upload' until I got a
success notification.

Next, I tried to upload a 100 MB file. The upload took ~4 seconds, but
then nothing... The server sat for 1 minute with CPU 100% idle. After
that, nginx timed out. I had these 2 messages in the error log:

2011/02/17 13:14:21 [warn] 68428#0: *8 a client request body is
buffered to a temporary file /srv/upload/tmp/0000000002