Nginx does not re-open log files on SIGUSR1.

John Feuerstein john at
Mon Jan 3 16:56:27 MSK 2011

Is there a reason why every script or suggestion I see floating around
the net still does it "the hard way" (and I wonder, even on _this_
mailing list):

  $ kill -USR1 `cat /var/run/`
  $ pkill -USR1 -f ^nginx:.*master.*process

instead of simply using nginx's built-in way to do this:

  $ nginx -s reopen

After all, this is supported since 0.7.53.

It should also work fine if using multiple nginx instances, just pass
the path to the configuration file of the specific instance with -c.

See also or `nginx -h`:

-s signal : send signal to a master process: stop, quit, reopen, reload