gzip causing high cpu load for streaming traffic

steveh nginx-forum at nginx.us
Sat Jan 8 06:13:39 MSK 2011

For reference I'm pretty sure that its not connection setup /
negotiation that is causing the load when enabled as the machines aren't
dealing with that may new connections per second, so its an overhead for
the entirety of the data send I believe.

Ok so found something interesting, while mp4's are being sent with the
correct header flv's aren't and hence are getting compressed:

GET /streaming/test.flv?..........

nginx/0.8.53
Date	Sat, 08 Jan 2011 03:01:24 GMT
Content-Type	text/html; charset=utf-8
Content-Length	693656659
Last-Modified	Fri, 07 Jan 2011 16:19:25 GMT
Connection	keep-alive
Cache-Control	private, max-age=0, must-revalidate
Accept-Ranges	bytes

GET /streaming/test.mp4?..........
Server	nginx/0.8.49
Date	Sat, 08 Jan 2011 03:09:25 GMT
Content-Type	video/mp4; charset=utf-8
Content-Length	53385372
Last-Modified	Wed, 05 Jan 2011 14:55:46 GMT
Connection	keep-alive
Cache-Control	private, max-age=0, must-revalidate
X-Mod-H264-Streaming	version=2.2.7
Accept-Ranges	bytes

So the question is now why are flv's getting text/html as their content
type?

Posted at Nginx Forum: http://forum.nginx.org/read.php?2,164484,164496#msg-164496