Proxying to node.js + express.js, session doesn't persist

ilya nginx-forum at nginx.us
Thu Jul 21 10:45:00 UTC 2011

I have Nginx set up to proxy_pass requests to location /api to
127.0.0.1:3000, where Node.js is listening.
Node.js is running a server written with Express.js.
In my previous project, I used request session in Express to track
users. In that project, I didn't use Nginx.
In the current project, I can't use session because it simply doesn't
save. I can write and read cookies, but not the request session. I
verified that the issue is in Nginx by running exact same code without
Nginx and being able to use request session.
My nginx.conf is as follows:

http {
    include       mime.types;
    default_type  application/octet-stream;