nginx multiple apps, and CodeIgniter

zaid tillman ztillma at
Mon Jun 6 05:25:20 MSD 2011

I’ve been struggling with a “No input file specified” issue, and I’ve been
trying to figure out the routing issue. I am using fast-cgi, nginx (version
0.7.65) and CI 2.02
 #                     /* Works */
#            /* Works */
    /* Put out "No input file specified." - a 404 in access.log */

The reason I see the problem is because I see this in the CI logs for *all*
http requests
DEBUG - 2011-06-05 19:47:23 --> No URI present. Default controller set.

I did not want to litter my first post with code, so here is the pertinent
info presented neatly:

I changed AUTO to others, and no change in behavior.
# /home/examples/
#standard configs except for the following:
$config['base_url']     = '';
$config['index_page'] = 'index.php';
$config['uri_protocol'] = 'AUTO';

I tried adding a new loc for /ci and that did not work (i.e got the “No
input file specified” error) so I took that off to get back to basics.
 # /etc/nginx/sites-enabled/

server {
    rewrite ^(.*)$1 permanent;
server {
    listen   80;
    access_log /srv/www/;
    error_log /srv/www/ debug;
    client_max_body_size 3M;
    location / {
        root   /srv/www/;
        index  index.html index.htm index.php;
        if (!-e $request_filename) {
            rewrite ^.*$ /index.php last;
    location ~ \.php$ {
        include /etc/nginx/fastcgi_params;
        fastcgi_index index.php;
        fastcgi_param  SCRIPT_FILENAME  /srv/www/

I went through the .httaccess route to remove the index.php, but did not
want to try too many things at once. I would like to get the bare bones
working and then add other layers.

Interestingly, $_SERVER[‘REQUEST_URI’] puts the correct URI, but
$this->uri->uri_string() is blank.

I’d be grateful for any advice and thanks in advance.

PS - this is cross posted from another
and I hope it does not offend anyone :)