Error pages/Web Authentication

HTF nginx-forum at
Sat Jun 11 12:55:28 MSD 2011

I still have some issue with this configuration. I restricted access to
admin back end:

location /administrator {
auth_basic "Authorized Access Only!";
auth_basic_user_file .userdb;

- however when I add index.php file to the URl
( the nginx just allow me to access
this part of the website without authentication.
I modified above configuration to:

location ^~ /administrator {
auth_basic "Authorized Access Only!";
auth_basic_user_file .userdb;

- then even if I append index.php it's still ask me for login
credentials but when I logged in the web browser is trying to download a
file instead of opening the website.

Can someone point me to the right direction please as this problem
persist even with the nginx default config files/configuration examples.