Why dose my server load the page slowly?

Ian Hobson ian at ianhobson.co.uk
Mon Jun 20 12:24:54 MSD 2011

On 20/06/2011 00:50, linuxthefish wrote:
> Hi, i'm currently running nginx and FastCGI for PHP on a small VPS. When
> i have about 20/50 users online, my sites takes a long time to load, and
> my load avarages go up. (11.49)
>
> My current VPS is 250Mhz, 256MB ram and 5GB disk space.
>
> Posted at Nginx Forum: http://forum.nginx.org/read.php?2,208346,208346#msg-208346

Hard to say. Your VPS is short of some resource that it needs.

This could be RAM, CPU power, network speed, disk-IO, a poor choice in
some set up, or starvation caused by another site on the same host server.

Most likely a shortage of RAM. 250MB is really tiny. If RAM is too
small, the machine will be paging to disk and bringing the pages back,
which is very slow.

You can control RAM size (and not much else on a VPS). Try increasing it
to 500MB.

Regards

Ian