multiple *.fcgi in /cgi-bin/ directory - binding

Rakesh S rakesh.usenet at gmail.com
Mon Jun 20 16:50:36 MSD 2011

While trying to configure fastcgi with nginx, here are the steps that
I have followed so far:

In /etc/nginx/nginx.conf:

        server {
                localhost 127.0.01;
                ..
                ..

                location ~ ^/cgi-bin/.*\.fcgi$ {
                        root /srv/prod/bin;
                        include /etc/nginx/fastcgi.conf;
                        #fastcgi_pass  127.0.0.1:9000;
                        fastcgi_pass    unix:/tmp/user.socket;

/etc/nginx/fastcgi.conf:

cat /etc/nginx/fastcgi.conf

fastcgi_param  SCRIPT_FILENAME    /srv/prod/bin$fastcgi_script_name;
.
.
<other default values in place>

The fcgi script is now bind using the unix socket as follows:

# spawn-fcgi -s /tmp/user.socket -a 127.0.0.1 -p 9000  [ -u <user> -g
<user> -U <socketuser> -G <socketgroup> ]

This works fine for a given .fcgi script.

If I have 4 such scripts in the cgi-bin directory ( /srv/prod/bin) ,
should I be doing 4 such independent spawn-fcgi-s . Is there an
alternative to do the same ?
Related, these .fcgi mentioned are executables of a C++ program.

Any suggestions for a better installation / best practices here ? Thanks !