Variables in ssl_certificate

Matt Saunders matts at yoyo.org
Tue Jun 21 03:38:13 MSD 2011

Hi there,

So that I can run identical configurations on many servers, I would like to
abstract my nginx configuration down by doing this in my SSL "server" stanza:

    ssl_certificate             /etc/ssl/${server_name}.pem;

However, nginx won't interpret this variable, causing this error:
Restarting nginx: [emerg]: SSL_CTX_use_certificate_chain_file("/etc/ssl/${server_name}.pem") failed

Is it possible to use variables in ssl_certificate in this way?  Ideally I'd
even like to use a "map" but this doesn't get interpreted either. :-(

TIA,
Matt.
--
  Matt Saunders          07506 857125