Use nginx to call shell script - simplest way?

António P. P. Almeida appa at
Tue Mar 8 22:00:05 MSK 2011

On 8 Mar 2011 12h07 WET, grails at wrote:

> I have a Java web application which, once in a while for reasons I
> am trying to determine, sometimes becomes unresponsive. I want to
> give users a simple way of restarting it, via the web, so as I've
> used ngix a lot in the past, my first thoughts turned to having
> nginx running on another port, with a URL available which causes a
> shell script to be run. What would be the easiest, most lightweight,
> way to do this? Or is there some other way of effecting what I want
> which I haven't thought of yet?

Well you always have the option of using good ol' CGI. Use a small
server like thttpd with nginx serving as reverse proxy for that or a
FastCGI wrapper like fcgiwrap and execute the shell command in the CGI

Perhaps there's a smarter way, don't know how it compares to agentzh's
Nginx embedded Lua module suggestion. You have to try it out.

--- appa