php auth & fast_cgi

Alexander Economou aecon at sysadm.gr
Mon Mar 14 16:17:08 MSK 2011

The problem seemed to be that after the initial auth , the credentials
could not change (diff user/pass).

Thanx alot Francis for the fast reply and sorry for the crappy problem
description but that was the only input i had. My colleague (the web
dev) , seems to have found a solution to his problem.

Cheers

-
Alex

On 03/14/2011 01:39 PM, Francis Daly wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 14, 2011 at 12:58:35PM +0200, Alexander Economou wrote:
>
> Hi there,
>
>> A colleague of mine told me that these two lines in php doesn't seem to
>> work on an nginx + fastcgi installation. Any thoughts?
>
> They seem to work fine for me. Any expansion?
>
> What does your colleague do, what does your colleague see, and what
> does your colleague expect to see? And, if it's not obvious, what's the
> difference between the last two?
>
>> header('WWW-Authenticate: Basic realm="SocialWhale Controller"');
>>
>> $_SERVER['PHP_AUTH_USER']
>> $_SERVER['PHP_AUTH_PW'];
>
> authcheck:
> ===
> <?php
>
> if ($_SERVER['PHP_AUTH_USER'] == "x"&&  $_SERVER['PHP_AUTH_PW'] == "x") {
>    echo "Well done, right credentials\n";
> } else {
>    header('WWW-Authenticate: Basic realm="SocialWhale Controller"');
> }
>
> ?>
> ===
>
> I expect "curl -i http://localhost/authcheck" to show me a HTTP 401,
> and "curl -i -u x:a http://localhost/authcheck" to show me a HTTP 401,
> and "curl -i -u x:x http://localhost/authcheck" to show me a HTTP 200.
>
> And that's what I see.
>
> nginx.conf ensures that the php fastcgi server processes the request,
> of course.
>
> All the best,

---
Alexander Loukas Economou