A lot of connections

devboy nginx-forum at nginx.us
Tue Mar 29 12:05:19 MSD 2011

Hi,

We have in our production environment several servers that were once
running tomcat directly on the edge to the web but since then have been
modified so that the tomcat is proxied by nginx.

I have Zabbix set up to monitor ESTABLISHED and TIMEWAIT connections and
plot them in a neat little graph. What I saw when we migrated from the
former configuration to the latter is that the count of connections (of
both states) increased dramatically. By dramatically I mean from
hundreds to thousands and even tens of thousands.

Without understanding too much how nginx handles its connections, it
seems like a complete tomcat request tore down the connections
immediatly while nginx is somehow keeping a lot of them open for longer
than necessary. Maybe it's by design. Maybe it's misconfiguration on our
part. Maybe I'm missing something fundamental here.

We are using nginx 0.8.54

and the key config lines are as follows:

worker_processes  8;
events {
    worker_connections  2048;
    use epoll;