502 errors, upstream sent too big header

Mike P. lists at ruby-forum.com
Mon May 2 08:08:24 MSD 2011

Hi,

I'm getting this same error (please see log output below) with
Nginx(0.8.54) and Passenger(3.0.6) using GET requests with really long
URIs.

My assumption is that fastcgi_buffer* directives won't apply to my
configuration since the request is being handled by passenger instead of
a php/perl fastcgi socket.

I've tried defining the proxy_buffer* settings like Travis described in
his initial post, but that didn't resolve the error I'm experiencing.

I've defined "large_client_header_buffers 8 16k;"  in the server
context, but this doesn't alleviate the error either.

Is 'large_client_header_buffers' the proper directive I should be using?
If not, is there a directive I can use to increase the response header
size limit?

Thanks for any insight into this,
Mike P.

2011/05/01 09:57:41 [error] 12176#0: *4537092 upstream sent too big
header while reading response header from upstream, client: x.x.x.x,
server: hostname.tld, request: "GET
/heroku/resources/18623?<REALLY_LONG_URI_REMOVED> HTTP/1.1", upstream:
"passenger:unix:/