2048 worker_connections are not enough while connecting to upstream

John Moore grails at jmsd.co.uk
Tue May 10 13:31:06 MSD 2011

I'm using nginx as a remote proxy server in front of some Tomcat
instances, with pretty high traffic. Suddenly yesterday afternoon we
started getting the error in the message subject, one I'd never seen
before, and it's occurred tens of thousands of times since. Now, I've
upped the worker_connections count to a much higher figure and the
problem has gone away for now. But I'm concerned that it might be
indicative of something else - some kind of DOS attack, maybe? What does
this signify and why might we suddenly start getting it? Thanks.

John